How to Evict My Son From My House

Title: How to Evict My Son From My House: A Guide for Parents


As a parent, it can be a challenging and emotional decision to evict your own child from your house. However, there may be circumstances where eviction becomes necessary, such as when your son is not contributing financially, causing significant disruptions, or engaging in destructive behavior. This article aims to provide guidance on how to navigate this difficult situation while maintaining a healthy relationship with your son.

1. Communicate Clearly and Establish Boundaries:

Before taking any legal actions, it is important to have an open and honest conversation with your son. Clearly communicate your concerns, establish boundaries, and explain the consequences if the situation does not improve. Give him a chance to understand and rectify his behavior before resorting to eviction.

2. Review Local Laws and Regulations:

Research the eviction laws specific to your location to understand the legal process involved. Regulations may vary, so it is crucial to familiarize yourself with the necessary steps, timelines, and documentation required to evict a tenant, even if it is your own child.

3. Serve an Official Eviction Notice:

If your son fails to comply with the established boundaries, serve an official eviction notice. This document should be in writing and state the reason for eviction, the date by which he must vacate the premises, and consequences if he fails to do so. It is advisable to send this notice through certified mail with a return receipt to ensure proof of delivery.

4. Seek Legal Advice:

Consulting with an attorney experienced in landlord-tenant law can provide valuable guidance throughout the eviction process. They can help you understand your rights, draft necessary legal documents, and ensure that you follow the correct legal procedures.

See also  How Old You Have to Be a Senior Citizen

5. Document Everything:

Maintain a thorough record of any incidents, conversations, or agreements related to the eviction. This documentation can serve as evidence in case legal action is required. Keep copies of text messages, emails, and any other relevant communication to support your case if needed.

6. Prepare for a Legal Battle:

If your son refuses to leave after receiving the eviction notice, you may have to file a lawsuit to regain possession of your property. This can be a lengthy and costly process, so be prepared for potential legal battles. Having legal representation can significantly increase your chances of success.

7. Seek Mediation or Family Counseling:

Eviction should always be a last resort. If possible, consider seeking mediation or family counseling to address underlying issues causing the tension. Professional help may facilitate open communication, understanding, and potentially help repair the strained relationship.


1. Can I legally evict my adult son if he has no lease agreement?
Yes, as long as your son is not paying rent and you can establish that he is a non-paying tenant, you have the right to evict him. However, the eviction process may differ depending on local laws.

2. Is it necessary to give my son a written eviction notice?
Yes, serving a written eviction notice is crucial to ensure your actions are legally valid. It provides a clear record of your intentions and establishes a timeline for your son to vacate the premises.

3. How long does the eviction process take?
The length of the eviction process can vary significantly depending on local laws and the specific circumstances of the case. On average, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months.

See also  How Heavy Is a Mobile Home

4. Can I change the locks or remove my son’s belongings without legal repercussions?
No, regardless of the situation, it is illegal to change locks or remove your son’s belongings without following proper legal procedures. Doing so may lead to legal repercussions and damage your case.

5. What happens if my son refuses to leave after the eviction notice?
If your son refuses to leave after the specified date, you may need to file a lawsuit to regain possession of your property. Consult an attorney to guide you through this legal process.

6. Will evicting my son permanently damage our relationship?
Eviction can put a strain on the parent-child relationship, but it does not necessarily mean permanent damage. Prioritize open communication, seek counseling if needed, and be willing to work towards healing the relationship.

7. Should I offer financial assistance or alternative housing options during the eviction process?
While offering financial assistance or alternative housing options may seem compassionate, doing so could complicate the eviction process and potentially weaken your legal position. It is best to consult with an attorney before making any such offers.


Evicting your own son from your house is undoubtedly a difficult decision to make. By following these steps and seeking professional guidance, you can navigate the process while minimizing the impact on your relationship. Remember, open communication, clear boundaries, and exploring alternative solutions should always be the first course of action before resorting to eviction.