How to Evict Son From Property

How to Evict a Son From Property: A Guide for Homeowners

Sometimes, family dynamics can become strained, and homeowners may find themselves in a difficult situation where they need to evict their own son from their property. This can be an emotionally challenging process, but it’s essential to handle it properly and legally. In this article, we will provide a step-by-step guide on how to evict a son from your property and address some frequently asked questions about this topic.

Step 1: Seek Legal Advice
Before taking any action, it is crucial to consult with a lawyer experienced in landlord-tenant laws. They will guide you through the legal process and ensure that you follow all necessary procedures to avoid any complications or potential legal issues.

Step 2: Review Your State Laws
Laws regarding eviction can vary from state to state, so it’s important to familiarize yourself with the specific regulations in your area. Your lawyer will assist you in understanding the legal requirements and the proper eviction process.

Step 3: Communicate Openly
Initiate an open and honest conversation with your son about the reasons for eviction. Clearly express your concerns and expectations. If possible, try to reach a mutual understanding and agreement without resorting to legal action. However, if your son refuses to comply or the situation becomes unbearable, proceed with the eviction process.

Step 4: Serve an Eviction Notice
In most states, you must serve your son with a written eviction notice. The notice should clearly state the reason for eviction, the amount of time given to vacate the property, and the consequences of not complying. The notice should be delivered personally or sent via certified mail to ensure proper documentation.

See also  Who Is up for Eviction This Week

Step 5: File an Eviction Lawsuit
If your son fails to vacate the property within the specified time frame, you will need to file an eviction lawsuit in court. Your lawyer will guide you through this process, ensuring that all legal requirements are met and the necessary documents are filed correctly.

Step 6: Attend the Court Hearing
The court will schedule a hearing where both parties will present their arguments. Be prepared with evidence supporting your case, such as the eviction notice, documentation of unpaid rent (if applicable), and any other relevant information. If the court rules in your favor, they will issue a judgment for possession.

Step 7: Enforce the Eviction Order
Once the court grants you the possession judgment, you will need to work with local law enforcement to physically remove your son from the property if he still refuses to leave. It’s advisable to have a locksmith present to change the locks immediately after regaining possession to prevent unauthorized entry.


1. Can I evict my son without a written agreement?
Yes, you can still evict your son even without a written agreement. However, having a written agreement can provide clarity and strengthen your case during the eviction process.

2. How much notice should I give my son before filing for eviction?
The notice period varies by state, but it is typically 30 days. Consult with your lawyer to ensure compliance with local regulations.

3. Can I evict my son if he doesn’t pay rent?
Yes, if your son has failed to pay rent as agreed, you can include this as a reason for eviction. Make sure to document the unpaid rent and clearly state it in the eviction notice.

See also  How to Turn on Hot Water Heater in Apartment

4. What if my son argues that he is a co-owner of the property?
If your son is indeed a co-owner, the eviction process becomes more complex. It is essential to consult with a lawyer to determine the best course of action based on specific ownership agreements and local laws.

5. Can I change the locks to prevent my son from entering the property?
Changing the locks without following the proper legal procedures can expose you to liability. It is crucial to wait until you have obtained a possession judgment and have law enforcement present before changing the locks.

6. Can I evict my son if he is a minor?
Eviction laws differ when it comes to minors. Generally, it is more complicated to evict a minor. Seek legal advice to understand the specific laws and processes in your jurisdiction.

7. What if my son refuses to leave even after the court grants me possession?
If your son still refuses to vacate the property, you will need to work with local law enforcement to enforce the eviction order. They will assist you in physically removing him from the premises.

Evicting a family member, especially a son, is a difficult and emotionally challenging process. Seeking legal advice, following proper procedures, and maintaining open communication can help mitigate the stress involved. Remember, consulting with a lawyer throughout the eviction process is crucial to ensure compliance with the law and protect your rights as a homeowner.